Friday, January 8, 2010

Counting down the Hours


Here I am, sitting at the family computer (in the new leather chair that was a gift for my dad, but has mostly been used as a more when playing drums on Rock Band). The next time I see 3:45 in the afternoon, I'm going to be in Tel Aviv, searching for my big red suitcase, or maybe exchanging my money from Dollars to Shekels, who knows...
I certainly don't.

I feel like I'm moving to New York all over again. My imagination is wandering the same way it did 3 years ago. It surprises me how preoccupied I am with 'what will my dorm look like' or 'will I be able to go running in the park that's across from the Hostel'. Then, in the back of my head, in a low voice I hear "you're about to move to Israel, to the Middle East, conflict-central for 4 months. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" That voice is quickly silenced, and I continue to worry about the mundane- should I bring my brown or black purse. This is how I cope.

I dealt with most of my packing last night, with the healp and patience of Caitlin. For what it's worth, last May I moved out with 4 suitcases of stuff. I managed by some grace of God to fit everything I could possibly need into Big Red (my lovely suitcase) and my 'I look like an International Traveler' backpack I got as an early Birthday present. I don't know how, but hopefully i'll be traveling smoothly because of it.

I've been thinking of what I want to do while I'm away, and what I want to get out of this experience, and I've realized that there are three things that i'm most excited about.
The Language. I want to work on what Arabic I can, and learn as much Hebrew as possible. I'm looking forward to sitting in coffee shops and listening to a native Hebrew speaker chat away as I sip on my tea and enjoy the environment.

The People. Israelis, other foreigners, NYU Students. Bring it on. I love meeting new people, and I've done so much of it these last few years, I feel like I'm always going to want to meet new people (and, of course, keep in contact with all the wonderful people from home and New York!)

Play. I'll admit it. I'm going to be young in Tel Aviv. I'll be minutes from the Beach, and the nightlife is no longer off-limits. Yes, I'm here for school, but what I really want to do while in Tel Aviv is just live life.

So here it goes. I'm leaving in a matter of hours. After months of waiting, the time is finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment