Thursday, January 21, 2010

just a smalltown Goya


Goy, for those of you non-jews is what the yiddish refer to the non-jews as. That's something that will be good to know as I explore my way around these parts.

I'm one class away, and one cafeteria lunch away from it being the weekend. My classes are, in a word, great. I'm taking Hebrew I, Arabic IV, The Politics and Production of Everydayness in Israel, Reporting Armed Conflict and Cinema Studies. The last two were yesterday, and though they were 3 hour classes, they flew by and I was left wanting more.

The professors here have also mastered their practice. My journalism professor, Sylvana Foa has seen, and played a large part in the shaping of history. She's loud, and picks fights, and has no censorship. She also brought in, and told us she will have a full meal and dessert at every class. We were in the classroom for about an hour, finishing up our hummus and pita, when she exclamed "It's too God Damn hot in this room, let's go to a cafe. Coffee on me!" and so we all grabbed our jackets, and walked the 5 minutes to the nearest esppresso bar, where we took over the whole patio and sat and chatted. She said that most classes will be at her house in Jaffa. On her roof. with lots of baked goods. I'm hooked.

The Cinema Studies class is directed by Eytan Fox . He screened his graduate piece and we freely critiqued it, which as really cool! He has a chill personality, and super duper famous around Israel. so yea. sweet.

In another class, that everyone has to take, we watched part of a documentary called "Meet the Natives" which gave us a different perspective at how we can see ourselves. Take a lookI'm going to come back and add to and edit this post. It's lunchtime now, but Elaborations to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment